Sunday, April 17, 2011

Speechless--the Conclusion

Speechless: The Response by Youra Soeum, October 2010

One day, Ka planned and executed a daring plan to escape from her brothel prison: she traded a condom for a cell phone. “I told him, I will not use the condom, but you have to exchange something for me. Would you please let me use your mobile phone?’” she said.

Ka passed the cell phone to one of the other girls, then bravely performed her “duties” while one of the other girls called the police. Two days later, they came.

“I was very, very happy. We felt like we have a new day,” said Ka.

This time things were different. Instead of simply being put out on the street, Ka was taken to World Vision’s Trauma Recovery Project, also known as the Neavear Thmey--the “New Ship“--where they could start a new journey.

Ka is just one of more than 800 girls and women who have gone through World Vision’s Trauma Recovery Program. She received physical, psychological and spiritual counseling as well as job skills training so that when she leaves the center she will have skills that can help her get a real job.

Things have changed a lot for Ka, now 20. “I have become more mature. I can think about things different now. I can see light coming into my life and I can think about the future,” she said with a smile. “I would like to have a small house, living with my husband. I am sure I will work in sewing things. I could even teach the other [girls] in the community how to sew.”

After several unfortunate cycles, Ka was able to break free from the ring of child prostitution and the Cambodian sex industry, thanks to the help of World Vision. Unfortunately, many girls are not so fortunate. “We are only touching the tip of the iceberg with these kids,” said Joshua Pepall, Technical Advisor to World Vision’s Trauma Recovery Project. “There are kids sitting in brothels because all of the shelters are full. We can’t raid them. We can’t remove them because they’ve got nowhere to go. All the centers are maxed out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment