Monday, August 8, 2011

The Road To Tennessee

In 2007 we decided to move to Tennessee. Carey had taken a job with Provident Music the year before and we had driven her car and some of her things out to her new “home”. At the time, Caleb was in L.A. ready to move to Portland and Cory was in Madagascar. Charley was up for it so we thought, “Why not!” California was getting expensive so thought we’d try out life in the south.
Jim could retire from Von’s/Safeway and we could all try to get work once we were in Tennessee. We had lined up a condo to move in to, about 45 minutes from Nashville.
However, as I look back, maybe we shouldn’t have made the move. I’ve thought of that more than once. It could look like coincidences to some, but I think it was more than that.
I believe that sometimes we may want something so badly that God allows us to have it, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was the best for us. Let me explain.
We had planned on moving the first of March. Boxes were packed, everything was lined up and we were getting last minute appointments taken care of. I was overdue for a mammogram, so decided to go ahead and get one before leaving. Then on February 27, 2007--two days before our move--I get the dreaded news: “Breast Cancer”. After meeting with a surgeon, we decided I’d go ahead and get the treatment I needed before the move.
Jim called work and was able to keep his job. Also, the landlord let us stay in our condo.
I had a lumpectomy two days later and then went through radiation. Everything went well. When I think about it, this was our first roadblock.
The next round of frustration was in Camarillo--the moving van broke down. We called Penske from the motel where we were staying and they brought another truck to switch out all of our belongings. It took longer than expected so we stayed an extra night. (Roadblock #2)
We made it to Tennesse, just missing one tornado, and we moved in. It was good to see Carey and her friends Shannon and Bethany, who helped us out. Things were going okay, Jim found a job after only 3-4 weeks and Charley soon after.
In October, Cory had to return to the states from Madagascar because of some severe breathing issues. Of course, she hadn’t planned to come back, especially come back to Tennessee, allergy capital of the USA. She had left California, not the deep south. However, she needed treatments and was soon settled in. ( I guess that could be considered sort of like a roadblock.)
Then, in November, Carey lost her job. (Roadblock #3) She found another good job soon after but lost that one less than a year later. (Roadblock #4?) She is now a fulltime nanny.
In December, Mom decided to leave Hawaii and move in with us. So, again we had a house full.
I had good intentions to start some science classes with homeschoolers in the area, but that didn’t happen. A different breed of homeschoolers here I’m afraid. (Struck out again.)
I had also hoped to get involved with Sudanese refugees in the area since they were numerous. I did for a short time--not first hand but by writing a curriculum for their after school program. I don’t even know if it was used. Communication is difficult here I’ve found.
I also tried getting involved with missions but as far as that got me was helping with a Perspectives class when we first got here. My intentions may have been good-but my follow through failed. Maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. Or, perhaps I should have been more persistent.

After all of this, not a pity party, but an account of happenings, here is a list of things that did happen:
helped with Perspectives
wrote the after school curriculum for Sudanese children
wrote four literature workbooks for school children (a flop)
went through a real FUNK for almost a year after our two month journey to Madagascar
thoroughly enjoyed working with Elijah once a week--he brings a smile to my face

There have been some Highlights to our four years in Tennessee:
4 seasons--loving the snow (not the tornados)
Appalachias
Amicalola Falls (in Georgia)
Smokey Mountains
Radnor Lake
Jackson Falls
Natchez Trace
BBQ all over the place
downtown Franklin and Nashville
Ryman Theater
Chattanooga
McKay’s used bookstore
being in touch with relatives after many years (MS, GA, TX)
attended the DOVE awards at the Grand Ole Opry and after party
have spotted several stars around town and a few at church
Grace Chapel in Leiper’s Fork, TN
Amish country

People I would miss:
Shannon and Bethany
Elijah and his family
Gavin and his family
Hayes and his family

So there ya have it. A different lifestyle? Yes, definitely!
Totally a waste of time? No, not really! There have been some good times, happy times!
But I truly am missing the West Coast, my friends, my family, Moe’s, Pepper Plant, Sees, In ‘N Out, Chili Peppers, and of course, the ocean. Not sure how long we’ll be here, but I get to visit CA in a week. It’s been over 3 years so I’m definitely looking forward to it. Can you truly go home? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment