Thursday, March 10, 2011

ReLENTless Acts of Justice


I can’t recall a time when I truly participated in Lent. The children and I did something similar for 4 weeks before Easter. It was mainly a giving time to others--letters, cards, meals, phone calls, etc. Perhaps I gave something up for Lent--once. However, this year I noticed that World Vision ACTs (activism network) had ideas for Lent on a daily basis. The event is called Relentless Acts of Justice. I thought I’d give it a try and participate in as many of the activities as I can. I believe the first event with ACTs, we, as a family, took part in was Malaria day when we discussed the affects of malaria and raised money for mosquito nets to be distributed among those that may not have one. This event will be more of a challenge for me but I will give it a try. I’ve recently been listening to the “Radical” series of messages given by Dr. David Platt who encourages us to truly follow Jesus and his teachings. (You may see his sermons online at www.brookhill.org or read his book entitled RADICAL.) I had just finished one of the activities that he shared the other day and it was on today’s Relentless emails: to make a list of your luxuries. If you have a roof over your head, food in your belly, clothes on your back, you’re considered rich in the world we live in. We may not feel like we are rich, but compared to most of the world today, we are wealthy. (Of course I’ve never thought of myself as wealthy--monetarily that is. But I am!) God has blessed us in America. So how can we wisely use that blessing to bless others?

No comments:

Post a Comment