Saturday, February 26, 2011

4 Year Anniversary

Sometimes when things are at their lowest point, the best moments are just around the corner. But you have to venture around that corner. (Suzanne Locklear)

I never had time to be scared or even imagine dire consequences from cancer--I was too focused on conquering it. (Judith Barnard)

Whole days, even weeks, go by now and I don’t even think about it. It’s amazing that after something so terrifying, you can forget. (Nancy Reagan)

My cancer gave me the courage to say yes to life and no to unhappiness...I chose to live. (Elizabeth Miu Lan Young)

It’s a pretty amazing wake-up call. Life is short and I can assure you I don’t waste much time. (Dierdre Black)

Why I celebrate:
Four years ago today, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I’ve always had a fear of cancer because cancer is often looked upon as a dreaded curse. And yes, I thought that way myself for a couple of reasons. However, though I’d often begged God to keep cancer far away from me, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on February 27, 2007. Though a bit shocked, it wasn’t devastating news. During the whole episode, God showed Himself faithful--mainly through the diagnosis. Though it had been 2 years since my last mammogram, I was told that if I had gotten the mammogram on time, the tumor probably wouldn’t have shown up. If I had waited, it wouldn’t have been felt until it had really enlarged. The mass was only 1/2 cm--pea sized. Even though small, cancer can be scary. I was alone in the doctors office when I got the news of the possibility of breast cancer--a terribly lonely time. After the mammogram, a second mammogram, an ultrasound and finally a biopsy, I knew it was my turn for the disease that no one wants but has infiltrated our family. The day I got the call, Jim was at work, Caleb was in L.A., Cory in Madagascar, Carey in Tennessee, and Charley was at home. I immediately called my good friend Cindy and she came right over. She had been through breast cancer the year before. She helped me through those first few minutes of wrapping my head around the news. It wasn’t long before friends and family began sending me words, songs and Scriptures of encouragement. That night, to relieve some of the stress of being overwhelmed, we went to Red Brick Pizza (in Paso) of all places to eat and watch TV (each table is set up with a little TV on it). (that sounds random-lol)
The surgery was on March 2 but the day before is when I really fell apart. Charley soon had me laughing and we decided to go bowling. (What else is there to do in a small town? Ha!)
Encouragement continued to roll in, even at the hospital. Sarah Kate, Joel and Diego came to be there for me and Sarah sang Ginny Owen’s “If You Want Me To”. One of the nurses prayed with me. I am so thankful for all those that shared in this experience with me through prayers, encouragement, Scripture and songs.
After my radiation treatment, we moved to Tennessee and I’ve been celebrating my BC anniversary every year with something fun, unusual, or unexpected. This year, year 4, I’m not sure what I’ll do. A trip to California sounds good to me. We’ll see.

The stedfast of mind Thou will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in Thee. Trust in the Lord forever, for in God the Lord, we have an EVERLASTING ROCK!! Isaiah 26:3-4

I sought the Lord and He answered me. And delivered me from my fears. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them. Psalm 34:4

Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3

4 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! Continue to be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember knowing SK went to sing....what did you end up deciding to do this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just went to Red Lobster. It was kind of a hard day for me. After talking to a friend who is 12 years out, I felt a bit better (though a few days later), because she understood.

    ReplyDelete