Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yes We Are Blessed.....

So What Are We Going To Do About It?

I am reading the book Radical by Dr. David Platt, a young pastor of a megachurch in Birmingham, Alabama. He discusses how we can live a “radical” life for Jesus and bring help to the needy.
Something I just read hit me. I’d like to share it here:
Platt speaking: “One evening I was meeting with an underground house church overseas, and we were discussing various issues in Scripture. A woman who lived in the city and knew some English shared. ‘I have a television, and every once in a while I am able to get stations from the United States,’ she said. ‘Some of these stations have church services on them. I see the preachers, and they are dressed in very nice clothes, and they are preaching in very nice buildings. Some of them even tell me that if I have faith, I too can have nice things.’”
“She paused before continuing. ‘When I come to our church meetings, I look around, and most of us are very poor, and we are meeting here at great risk to our lives.’ Then she looked at me and asked, ‘Does this mean we do not have enough faith?’”
“Every year in the United States, we spend more than $10 billion on church buildings. In America alone, the amount of real estate owned by institutional churches is worth over $230 billion.”
I don’t know about you, but “Ouch”, that didn’t feel so good.
I don’t always think of myself as rich, and I’m guessing you may not think of yourself as rich either. But if we have running water, shelter over our heads, clothes to wear, food to eat, and some means of transportation (even if it’s public transportation), then we are in the top 15% of the world’s people for wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment