Monday, February 22, 2010

James

Last night, I chatted with a young girl that I’ve never met and I’ve never chatted with, though I’ve known her family for years. She asked if I would read James 2--she said it was “awesome”. She also mentioned that James 1:2-4 were some of her favorite verses and wondered if I had any to share. I shared one of my favorites from James 1:27 that mentions the religion that God accepts as pure and faultless--to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. I told her I would read her verses later. However, I was drawn to read the verses from the first chapter of James and it hit me, it brought tears to my eyes. It says: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” We’ve all had trials of one sort or the other. I’ve had my share as well. However, how many times have I considered it pure joy? Usually when it happens I tend to get a little hysterical in the beginning--either verbally or inwardly. I realize I need to “give thanks in all things” but it is sometimes hard. Our faith can get us through. Verse 12 says: “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” Because “every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” (vs. 17) 
The more I read, the more interested I became. I’ve read the book of James before and it is one of my favorites but I was given a challenge and just trying to follow through. Plus, the pastor will be speaking on James for the next few weeks. I’ll see what he has to say. Interestingly, since writing the above, the pastor spoke on James 1:1-8 and verse 12 (mentioned above a week or so ago). 

No comments:

Post a Comment