Sunday, June 7, 2009

National Cancer Survivors Day

June 7, 2009

Today is a day to remember those who have beaten their cancer diagnosis. Whether they have been through treatments that have made them so sick they couldn't stand it, or if they have chosen alternate means of dealing with their illness, I just want to recognize those in my sphere that have experienced cancer and survived.

A "Shout-Out" goes to:
my dear friend Cindy who has been about 3 years cancer free. She was there for me when I learned of my breast cancer. Right after the doctor's phone call, Cindy was the first person I contacted. Charley was home with me, Jim was at work, Caleb was in Hollywood, Cory was in Madagascar, Carey was in Tennessee. Cindy came right over until Jim could get away. Thank you Cindy for being there for me. I appreciate you. I am so glad that you have been cancer free for 3 years.
my sister-in-law Helen who has struggled with different forms of cancer for years. I was fortunate to have her around to talk to, share my fears, and share my thoughts.
my cousin Barbara Dean who has been cancer free for 5 years.
my Uncle Charles who I don't get to see often, but has been cancer free for a while now.
my friend Odie who has been cancer free for years as well.
my good friend's son Dominic who left his cancer behind 8 years ago.

There may be others that I have forgotten--if so I'm sorry but congratulations to you as well. There may be some that I don't know about--I recognize you too. For those who have lost the battle, my heart goes out to those families. Unfortunately my brother and father didn't make it. However, I'm so happy to have had the years I did with them.

Ways I chose to celebrate my 2 years cancer free in February of '09.

Dinner at Famous Dave's with family and friends.

A little pain.

My pink ribbon tat.

1 comment: