Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I Can See (Clearly) Now

This title reminds me of a Johnny Nash song:

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is a rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

Our time in Madagascar wasn't about being with the KKIM (Kings Kids International Madagascar) team at all. It wasn't being in ministry with them or going to their days of meetings. That's not what it was about. I can see that now a little more clearly.

It was about those children at the bottom of the hill who ran over to the "faza's" (white people) with a smile and hands outstretched for a cookie or a piece of candy.
It was about those moms walking along the street with their babies on their backs smiling broadly when we handed them a beanie for their baby to wear.
It was about a family that offered us a ride to town so we wouldn't have to take the crowded bus, even though their car broke down along the way.
It was about those street women with their little babies asking if we knew anyone that could take them in since they were being harrassed by the police.
It was about the street kids looking for a handout or following us around town.
It was about the man twisted on the sidewalk begging for a coin.
It was about the little girl in the wheelchair with paralyzed legs oh so thin.
It was about families watching their territory on the streets hoping for a handout.
It was about true friends that treated us like we were special--providing us with feasts though they thought it was so little.
It was about true Malagasy culture and hospitality.

My dream for years was to visit Africa. I had that chance. Even though things didn't go as planned, I'm glad we went. I'm glad that I got to see how most of the world lives. I'm glad Charley got to experience that as well. We had good times along with the bad. It was about getting uncomfortable. It was about stepping out of our comfort zone. Do I wish things had turned out differently? Yes I must say. Would I trade the positive experiences? No

It wasn't about me and it wasn't about a ministry team. It was seeing with the eyes of God. Reaching out to the poor and the needy. Blessing them with a tangible object, a word of encouragement or a simple smile. It was being Jesus to someone. Becoming like and loving the poor was at the heart of Christ's ministry.

I love the Brandon Heath song: "Give Me Your Eyes". I wanted God to open our eyes to see those around us-the broken, the destitute, the poor, the needy, the orphans, the needy.

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see.
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity.
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see.

"Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God."
Bob Pierce, Founder of World Vision

1 comment:

  1. Good blog Mom! Thanks for investing into the lives in Madagascar! Love you.

    ReplyDelete