Monday, March 5, 2012

Lent and Sacrifice Revisited

I did spend a little time trying to decide what I could/should give up during Lent. I felt chocolate was a good thing to let go of for at least 40 days. I was doing okay but yesterday I was having some cravings, or withdrawals. I did mess up when Carey made a little individual chocolate cake and wanted me to taste it. I wasn't even thinking and took a bite (my confession) though it was probably 1/4 teaspoon.
Another thing I challenged myself with was the "7" challenges in Jen Hatmaker's book. The topics I mentioned in my "Lent" blog. Instead of spending a month on each goal, I'd spend a week. So last week was giving away 7 things each day for 7 days. How did I do? Don't ask! I did bag up several items but I haven't got the other things ready. Plus, I'm trying to find a local group that can use them. This week's topic is food. I chose 7 foods and that's all I can eat. The foods I chose are: peanut butter, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, carrots, apples, flour tortillas and beans and water is free. How did I do on day one? Well, the oatmeal pretty much made me gag. Since I couldn't use any type of sweetener, I shredded up some apples to mix in. Ummm, it didn't really help. Then for lunch, I had a bean burrito but cheated by having a little cheese on it. (I really didn't need to do that.) Then tonight I had 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter. Another confession, Jim brought me a Vitamin Water and without thinking I took a drink. Okay, so today didn't go so well.
The challenge from Relentless Act:s of Sacrifice was to sacrifice our living (or work) space to remind us of what is important, what we're passionate about, reminders. So I've done that with my sitting/classroom. I've put up pictures of street children in Africa, pictures and posters of verses for the poor, how Jesus wants us to fast, the hungry, lack of clean water, malaria, etc.
This second week of sacrifice is about the food we eat. So many countries live on less than $2 a day. They can barely feed their families. As political crisis continue, food prices escalate. (As in Madagascar.) Change the way you eat and the information you consume. Kind of goes along with the "7" challenge for this week.
I hope that you are drawing close to the Lord during these days before we celebrate the resurrection of our Savior.
I will keep you posted on my challenges. I think I can do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment