Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thinkin' 'Bout Life


If mid-life happens around 30 or 40, I must be in 3rd quarter or possibly 4th.
So what's a woman my age doing trying to figure out what she's doing for the rest of her life? I want to finish well, but what kind of legacy am I leaving? Or do I need to leave a legacy? Have I spent over half a century doing what God wanted me to do? Did I spend it doing what I've dreamt of doing? We all leave a legacy--whether its positive or negative.
At only 18 years of age, Clayton McDonald left an amazing legacy. He loved God and showed God's love daily.
I know I've mentioned Clayton before, but I just can't shake him off of my mind. Perhaps, because I have a son his age, or perhaps because of something more. He didn't waste his life. After an 11 year battle with leukemia, Clayton went to be with the Lord. He lived out John 3:16 on a daily basis and he passed away on 3/16(09) encouraging friends and loved ones who surrounded him. He loved God with everything he had and he loved others. He challenged us with this message: "If you're breathing, you have a job to do." I'll include a link to one of his last messages that he shared with his youth group last November. It's a powerful message and one you'll enjoy. (www.claytonsstory.com and click on "Knocking on Heaven's Door") If you only have a few minutes, watch a shorter version of his testimony in a video he finished the day before his passing. (www.thedoorpost.com/joy/claytonsstory) He has inspired many, including myself, to look deeper.
Passions I have had in the past have been stripped away. Perhaps so I may focus on Him rather than a "purpose" or a "cause". Do I still have an interest in some of the things that used to hold my thoughts captive? I remember hearing: "Go back to where you first heard God speak to you." I want God to break my heart with the things that break His. I want to go back to that place. One day, perhaps. I want to leave a positive legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment